Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Review: My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies

My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies by Ed Brubaker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Even if Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips never published another project together they are still going to go down in comic book history as one of the great creative partnerships of all time. Fortunately for us all, they keep doing new books, and this short graphic novel is one of their very best.

Elle is an addict at a fancy rehab facility who doesn’t seem all that interested in getting clean as she scoffs at other patients and flaunts the rules. As the title of this indicates she also romanticizes famous drug addicts and seems to have modeled her life on their behavior despite having an upbringing that is one giant cautionary tale.

That’s all I want to say about the plot of this one, and that short summary doesn’t do justice to the genius work that Brubaker & Phillips have done here. It’s just an amazing piece of art that is bigger than any label or genre that some might try to put on a crime comic. Check it out.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment