Monday, December 31, 2018

Review: 2018 on Goodreads

2018 on Goodreads 2018 on Goodreads by Various
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My overall number of books read was down again this year. (Thanks, Netflix!) However, what I lacked in quantity I made up for in quality because it was a fantastic year for crime fiction. Here's the best of those in the order I read them.

Old Black Magic by Ace Atkins

The Lonely Witness by William Boyle

Sunburn by Laura Lippman

The Upper Hand by Johnny Shaw

The Sinners by Ace Atkins

The Long and Faraway Gone by Lou Berney

Some Die Nameless by Wallace Stroby

Give Me Your Hand by Megan Abbott

The Man Who Came Uptown by George Pelecanos

Holy Ghost by John Sandford

Fatal Blow by James Thane

November Road by Lou Berney

In addition to great crime fiction I also read one of the best and most bittersweet true crime books imaginable. Michelle McNamara died before finishing this and without knowing who the Golden State Killer was. However, she predicted exactly how he'd be identified and arrested just months after the book was published. That should help anyone who reads this sleep better at night.

I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara

The trend of fantastic crime fiction continued into my comic book reading, and it's no surprise that it was Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips delivering another top notch installment in their Criminal series as well as wrapping up the Kill or be Killed story.

Criminal Vol. 7: Wrong Time, Wrong Place

Kill or be Killed Vol. 3

Kill or be Killed Vol. 4

With all the great crime novels I didn't read much sci-fi this year, but this one was a winner. And now that I think about it also had some mystery elements to it. Bonus points for the best cover of the year, too.

Gunpowder Moon by David Pedreira

Hopefully, I'll read some more books that were as good as these in 2019.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment