Sunday, February 21, 2016

Wasting A Perfectly Good Space Raccoon

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 5: Through the Looking Glass Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 5: Through the Looking Glass by Brian Michael Bendis
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This collection is the perfect summation of what was good but ultimately frustrating about this run of the series.

There are fun moments with the characters like Rocket bickering with Captain Marvel, and there’s some potentially interesting storylines lurking in the background like Peter Quill being named the new king of Spartax against his wishes. However, once again with this title most of time is spent in service of crossing over to some other event.

This collection is especially irritating because it contains the GotG issues for The Black Vortex, but none of the other books involved. Since the story weaved through at least three other titles that means that this is like trying to read a novel with various chapters missing. I could get the Black Vortex trade from the library or read through the other comics using my Marvel Ultimate subscription, but I just don’t care.

So as usual I get enough moments with the Guardians themselves to make me crave more, but that’s never delivered because it was deemed more important to have them hook up with the X-Men for like the umpteenth time in recent memory. Now this version of the title is done, and who knows what’ll happen after Secret Wars. I just hope that maybe there will eventually come a time when I could read a version of Guardians of the Galaxy in which they actually have a purpose other than showing up in crossovers and giving a temporary home to other Marvel characters.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment